Our Past

History of Mavis Manor

Mavis Manor was built in approximately 1897 for the Lilly Family. The manor was used by Dr. L.L. Lilly as a hospital designed to keep overnight patients. Mavis Manor was constructed of most Chestnut and Oak timbered in nearby Summers County, milled in Hinton, West Virginia then transported by horse drawn wagon via the Grayson-Raleigh-Wythe turnpike. The inspiration for the manor came after Miss Sue Tickle visited Bramwell, West Virginia.

Probably the most pretentious Lilly home was built by Dr. Lonnie Lilly at the Flat Top Post Office and on the Mercer County line very much on the inspiration of his wife, a Miss Sue Tickle, who was said to be from the Bluefield area. She first married a McCormack, who was killed in an accident shortly after their marriage (in a buggy accident) and she then married Dr. Lonnie Lilly and she operated a millinery shop Dunns and there she drew her plans for their home which they built at Flat Top containing twelve rooms with two long halls extending the length of the house and containing also ten closets and seven fireplaces. The right side of the house had an entrance to Dr. Lilly's office for his patients’ entry and in his office he had a trap door with shelves that lowered to the basement to keep his medical supplies in days before refrigeration so that the medicine could be stored in the cooler level when it was not being used. The house was built in approximately 1897 and was designed to keep overnight patients who traveled long distance for treatment. Cost of building was $5,000.